The Gates Fire District will be conducting car seat installation checks on the 4th Tuesday of every month from the hours of 2pm – 7pm.
To make an appointment, please call us at 585-426-2720 then press option 4 for the Community Risk Reduction Office.
Our installation checks will be located at our Headquarters location, 2355 Chili Ave, Rochester.
New York State Child Passenger Restraint Law of November 24, 2009
Children up to their 8th birth date riding in any seating position of a motor vehicle will be required to be restrained in an appropriate child restraint system.
- An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child’s size and weight and the specifications of the manufacturer.
- A child restraint system may be a child safety seat, harness, vest or a booster seat.
- The vehicle’s safety belt alone is NOT a child restraint system.
- Booster seats MUST be used with a lap and a shoulder belt.
- Children 12 years and younger should ride in the back seat. The simple task of properly buckling up children in the back seat reduces the risk of being killed in a crash by 33%.
- Your child must be 8 years old.
- Your child should be able to sit with his or her back straight against the vehicle seat back.
- The knees bent comfortably at the seat’s edge without slouching.
- The lap belt should be low across the upper thighs or hips, not across the abdomen.
- The shoulder belt should lie across the chest and shoulder, not touching the neck or face.
- Your child should be able to ride this way for the entire trip.
It is recommended that booster seats be used until your child is 4’9″ tall or weighs 100 lbs.
***For more information go to https://www.monroecounty.gov/safety-childsafety