Forever in our hearts

The Gates Fire District regrets to inform you of the sudden passing of Community Risk Reduction Specialist, Joseph Manuse.

Joe suffered from a reported bee sting while visiting with family. Life saving measures were started immediately by family members until the arrival of Gates Fire and Ambulance. Joe was transported to a local hospital where he later died.

Joe has been a resident of the Town of Gates for over 30 years and graduated from Gates-Chili High School. He has been a volunteer firefighter with the Gates-Chili Fire Department for 29 years, holding the ranks of Lieutenant, Captain and Assistant Chief and an employee Gates Fire District for the past 11 years as the Fire Prevention Officer. He was responsible for providing appropriate fire prevention and fire safety lessons through community outreach programs within the Gates-Chili School District, local businesses and senior centers. He is also a New York State Certified Building Safety Inspector. Joe was an information resource for anyone with questions about fire safety, education, and codes. Most recently Joe was handling the duties of our Public information Officer.

Joe was an amazing leader, teacher, firefighter and father. Please keep the Manuse family and Gates Fire District in your thoughts and prayers.

Gates Fire Chief, Alan Bubel would like to thank his firefighters, Gates Ambulance and Gates Police for their actions yesterday. Additionally, he would like to express appreciation to Spencerport Fire, Chili Fire, Monroe County Fire Bureau, Ridge Road Fire District and Greece Police for their assistance as well as the outpouring of support from the community.

Funeral arrangement will be made available at a later date.

For more information, contact Captain Brian Gebo at 585-746-7689 or bgebo@rrfd.org